Nestled in the Smoky Mountains, Pigeon Forge, TN is a fall lover’s paradise as a manifest of color change signifies the start of cooler weather.
Colors start to change at higher elevations first and then spread down to the trees on the lower elevations. Generally, this change begins for higher elevated areas in early October. The colors will peak within the mid and low elevations around mid-October through the start of November. The first trees to change are the Yellow Birch, American Beech, Hobblebush, Pin Cherry, and the Mountain Maple. At the height of the fall foliage season, you can expect to see trees like the Sugar Maple, Sweetgum, Red Maple, Scarlet Oak, and the Hickories in all their autumn glory.
TOP 5 PLACES TO SEE
FALL FOLIAGE IN THE SMOKY MOUNTAINS
You can see the Pigeon Forge fall foliage in numerous places around town, however there are some places that offer spectacular views of the color change.
1. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park gets the #1 spot. The majestic national park is like no other in all seasons of the yea, but especially during the fall.
2. Clingmans Dome offers the highest point in the park and from the observation tower, you can get a grand view of the fall foliage.
3. The Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is a great start for a scenic drive. There are many stops along the way that will allow you to see the fall foliage from many different realms…from waterfalls and creeks to mountain farms and the treeline of the mountains. So much beauty surrounds!!
4. If you are up for a good hike, drive up to Cades Cove and take a hike on one of the many trails that originate there like the Cades Cove Nature Trail or the trail up to Abrams Falls. This spot will leave you in awe no matter where you look.
5. You can get a bird’s eye view of the city from atop the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel at the Island. This is a great spot to take in the fall foliage as well as the mountains. No driving or walking, just sit back and relax in the glass enclosed gondola. You will ooh and ahh as you reach the top and can see all the beautiful fall colors.