The Tennessee General Assembly has approved two separate opportunities to skip paying sales tax in 2022. One is for saving on back-to-school shopping and the other is a month-long break on food tax. During the two timeframes, certain goods may be purchased tax-free. It’s the perfect time to go shopping in Pigeon Forge for huge savings!
When is the Sales Tax Holiday in Pigeon Forge?
- Tennessee’s traditional sales tax holiday on clothing, school supplies and computers begins at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, July 29, 2022, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, July 31, 2022.
- For 2022, Tennessee’s General Assembly has approved a sales tax holiday on food & food ingredients which begins at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, August 1, 2022, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, August 31, 2022.
What is Tennessee’s Sales Tax Holiday?
Tennessee’s Sales Tax Holiday offers shoppers an opportunity to save 7% on state sales tax and 2.75% on county sales tax for a total of 9.75% on certain shopping items in Tennessee. This holiday was created to help you save as you get your kids back-to-school, although anyone can take advantage of the great savings. Eligible items include the following:
- Clothing priced up to $100. It does not include jewelry, purses, or sports equipment.
- School and art supplies priced up to $100 each
- Computers, laptops or tablets that cost less than $1,500. It does not include flash drives, software, printer supplies and household appliances.
For 2022, there will be a second tax-free holiday where food and food ingredients may be purchased tax free. The 2022 Sales Tax Holiday for Food and Food Ingredients is a month-long break on food tax, which includes food and ingredients you buy at the grocery store.
View a complete list of tax-free items to see what is included and what is not during these two tax holidays.
Where to Shop During Tax-Free Weekend
Whether you are stocking up on back-to-school items or just looking for the perfect souvenir to take home, Tennessee’s Tax-Free Weekend is one of the best times to go shopping in Pigeon Forge. From the best brands to one-of-a-kind hand-crafted items, Pigeon Forge shops and retail stores will be ready to serve all your needs.
Stop by Stages West and let their friendly staff help you find the latest in western apparel, belts and boots to have you looking your best as you head back to school. Shop the Pigeon Forge Factory Outlet Mall where you will find stores like Osh Kosh & Carters Childrenswear, Rack Room Shoes, and Big Dog Sportswear to get some trendy new school clothes and shoes.
Don’t forget about the shops at The Island in Pigeon Forge and The Mountain Mile & Tower Shops. These family entertainment complexes offer an extensive array of retail and boutique shops, restaurants and eateries. Explore even more outlets, malls and shopping centers in Pigeon Forge.
Tax-Free Weekend Shopping Tips
- Make sure you have a plan before you head out. Many people will be taking advantage of the great deals during Tennessee’s Tax-Free Weekend, so have a list of what you want to buy and where you will need to go.
- Have an idea of what clothing sizes you will need ahead of time. The lines in stores tend to get long, and you may not be able to try everything on.
- Start your shopping early in the day when stores open for the best selections and look for coupons to make the savings add up even more.
- Save mobile coupons from My Pigeon Forge for even more great savings during Tennessee’s Tax-Free Weekend.
- Tax-free savings are available to everyone! So whether you’re shopping for back-to-school items or updating your fall wardrobe, there’s no better time to save!
Show us what you bought during your tax-free shopping spree by posting photos on Instagram using #MyPigeonForge.